Three State champions were crowned in prep hockey Saturday, as the WIAA concluded its season with title games held at the South Wood County Rink in Wisconsin Rapids.


The Division One game saw Hudson (20-3) shutout defending state champ Verona (15-4), 4-0, to win its fifth State championship.

Carter Mears scored twice for Hudson, while Alex Pottratz netted a score and Matthew Mauer recorded an empty-netter which put the finishing touches on the win.

Carson Strapon had two assists for Hudson, while goaltender Alex Ripplinger stopped all seven Verona shots he saw for the shutout. The Raiders held a 35-7 advantage in shots on goal.


The Division Two title tilt saw defending champion Fond du Lac St. Mary’s Springs (26-2) match up with Superior (11-6), making its record 38th appearance in the State Tournament.

In the end, the speed of Springs was simply too much in a 4-1 victory, to complete its back-to-back title run.

Brady Welsch put his scoring power on display, with two goals and two assists. Calvin Grass netted a pair of power play goals in the third, which turned a 1-0 game into a rout.

Andrew Rude scored the only goal of the contest for Superior, coming in the third.

Hayden Rising made 11 saves in goal for Fondy Springs, while Jamin Durfee had a good game in defeat for the Spartans with 36 saves, as the Ledgers held a 40-12 advantage in shots on goal.


The girls championship contest pitted The Chippewa Falls-Menomonie Sabres against University School of Milwaukee.

In the day’s most exciting game of hockey, it was Chippewa Falls-Menomonie winning in overtime, 3-2.

Joey Schmenauer had the game-winner, as she took a beautiful feed from Brianna Buoninco 3:20 into the extra period, completing a well-executed odd-man rush by the Sabres.

Ella Ausman and Sidney Plozin also had goals for Chippewa Falls-Menomonie, who needed a power play goal in the third period to force overtime. Emily Mueller and Jordan Bonk found the back of the net for University School.

Molly Jex made 25 saves in defeat for the Wildcats, while Caroline O’Dell recorded the win, ending the game with a total of 15 saves.